Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 October 2012

Divine experience on Christmas Eve

My office colleague in 2010 said if you want to go to Cathedral Church on Christmas,go on Christmas Eve for its then that mid-night mass is held.Jesus like Krishna was born at midnight.So this time around in 2011 Christmas I set out from my home and took a Bus to Hazratganj.I usually go by Bike hardly ever travel by bus so it was a nice experience.Our Ajit uncle (Mausa) was very sick then and I was thinking about him and hoping for his recovery not knowing of course that I would get the news of his tragic demise next day in the morning.

If you walk from Hazratganj Square to Mayfare square you first see the age old Hanuman Temple. It was Sunday and evening Aarti was going on in the temple,devotees thronging to worship and Temple Bells ringing Sonorously.Hazratganj was recently renovated and I took videos and pictures on my way to Cathedral Church where people from all religions come on Christmas.Lucknow had always this great culture of tolerance to all religions where people joyously celebrate each others festivals.As far back as 1980's I can remember,people called Christmas "Bada Din" and it always was a Public Holiday.People in the day would go on Picnic to Parks and Lucknow Zoo and also to Cinema Halls.In the evening they would visit numerous Churches in Lucknow to see the enthralling Decorations and mesmerizing depiction of a scene from Jesus Birth.


I bought two candles from outside.Cathedral Church was decked up beautifully.Candles,decorations,pictures and edibles were selling outside.A little boy in Santa Hat was selling Pictures,lockets and candles inside.As you go inside Cathedral School and Church on left hand side is a beautiful picturesque depiction of Mother Mary and child Jesus.Its surrounded in an enclosure on which you can light candles and pray.Then there are steep steps leading up to the main church beyond the Assembly grounds.On right hand-side during Christmas various scenes from Jesus life are depicted and in the corner is a big depiction of Jesus birth in Bethlehem.

You know in every day life our mind is filled up with so much stuff especially negativity.You may be dis-satisfied with behaviour of certain people around you,you may be worried about health of a near and dear one,you may be suffering injustices in daily life.These all things contribute to take away our mental peace,we become preoccupied in dealing with negative people loosing sight of bigger picture.As I lit the candle and joined my hands in a silent prayer all negative thoughts vanished I felt really like a clear fresh spring arising from the hills.In that moment it dawned on me that I should take no notice of sneering demeaning comments in daily life,that I should concentrate on myself always making an effort to be good and just in life and do my work well and always try to help others,elevating myself trying to do better and better and staying away and maintaining a distance from negative influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment