Total Pageviews

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Manoj Kumar Celebrates his Birthday today

When we were young in the early 80's there was a trend to play three movies at night on VCR 9:00 till 6:00.People living in the Lane would be invited and everybody would enjoy the movies.The first movie I saw of Manoj Kumar was "Pathar Ke Sanam",a visually stunning movie.I remember liking it a lot especially funny song of Mehmood "Bhagatram Ki Behna" and Waheeda Rehman's  solo song "Koi Nahin Hai" and another song "Yaad Rakhoge Ki Bhool Jaoge".Pran too I recognized from this movie.I found "Tauba ye Matwali Chaal" quite confusing with Manoj Kumar romancing both Mumtaz and Waheeda Rehman consequently.People at that time really loved "Pathar Ke Sanam" and it was played often in various localities,another favorite movie that was played often of Manoj Kumar was "Do Badan" a twelve hanky movie,the saddest movie I ever saw.Our mom who passed away last year played his "Hariyali Aur Raasta" in our home on Video Cassette in late 80's,its a lovely musical classic co-starring Mala Sinha.Every song of it is a classic.

"Tauba Ye Matwali Chaal" was a favorite of Doordarshan folks who played it time and again on Chitrahar that used to come on Wednesday.Later on when we had Cable in early 90's I saw "Purab Aur Paschim" and was totally mesmerized by it and its fabulous music especially that unique song "Zero diya mere Bharat Ne" and the Aarti in the Climax.Around that time I saw "Upkar" too and it was really moving and the nicest movie I ever saw.

"Nakli Nawab" and "Reshmi Roomal" are his two Black and White classics.Recently I have been listening to "Resham Ki Dori" song often which is filmed beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment