Total Pageviews

Monday 24 August 2015

Vadodara Visit - 10 April 2015

From where my Bus left me I hired an Auto to the Bus Station, I knew around it would be cheap hotels. But in Vadodara where Railway Station is in front of Bus Station, Hotels are a little away and in by-lanes as you go towards Sayaji Baug from Railway station you get glimpses of better Hotels.

Near the Bus Station is only Lav-Kush hotel which has the standards of a below-budget hotel. In spite of its paan-stained walls I checked-in as I was too tired to go further. Another strange thing is that Hotel staff asks you to leave the keys at the desk as you go out. I was afraid of things getting stolen but nothing of that sort happened. Once water did ran out completely. But the housekeeping staff does its job well, cleaning every morning , bringing in Tea and water when ever you ask. There was an elderly gentleman at Hotel desk who seemed a mix of Anthony Hopkins and Manmohan Krishna. This Hotel gives you a good view of street and the Railway Station in front. Lots of students staying in the Hotel .

I had a long journey and felt tired, still thought it better to bathe and have breakfast before I sleep. I bought snacks from outside, there are several nice shops of delicacies in front of the railway station. Had Tea and snacks at my room. Snacks consisted of two types of Dhokla one white other yellow ,a popular Guajarati breakfast food.


Later went in a shared Auto, old auto driver was nice and helpful and dropped me at Sayaji square. Sayaji park is a huge enclosed green space which has a lush green park housing a Zoo , an Aquarium ,a Planetarium, toy-train ,Museum and a river flows through and you can watch the sun set standing on the bridge, built over it. Lots of Langurs here plus love-sick couples lost in there own world in shady nooks. In this romantic park romance is free as the summer breeze. Boys stealing there first kisses and girl living there first romance. Women folks seem more liberated here, girls seem free of any shackles and women ably running there own affairs. This city also seemed cleaner than others. You need at least two days for this park.Earlier I had Lemon Sharbat and later Lemon Soda, from a lady selling beverages outside the park adjacent to its gate. And this huge park has several entrance gates. After a tiring round of this vast park I had a cool strawberry Lassi at a shop near the square.http://mayfaremagic.blogspot.in/2015/04/beautiful-city-of-baroda-or-vadodara.html



After resting for rest of the day, I again went to this park, just to enjoy a ride in its toy-train and also was able to see a part of the Zoo. In evening you see a lot of old folks come here for walk and youths too come to jog or just to enjoy time with friends. Sunset looks beautiful from the bridge across the river. You see a lot of Langurs too some mothers tending to their kids. And deafening is the din of birds returning to there nests chirping madly. Toy-train ride is just fabulous and children and adults equally enjoy it. Its the only Zoo which plays Bollywood Classics , while I was there I heard many popular classics of Dev Anand. Just now I was watching the video of the Park and I felt really nostalgic as I heard my favourite songs in the background.

On my return journey I decided to walk back to my hotel instead of hiring an Auto. Just to get a glimpse of the city at night. I had a matka kulfi pundit special and later Masala chaach at two different shops. Later I bought a cool mineral water bottle and decided to visit the Bus Station.

Vadodara Central Bus Station was really amazing and unimaginable. As I explored it I was just overwhelmed by its vastness, design and beauty. It was like one of those train stations shown in Hitchcock movies. Its Bus Station that combines a Shopping Mall with a state of the art, modern Bus terminal. Its food court is equally beautiful and I had double butter Dabeli (local Burger) and chaach (Butter-milk) here. http://mayfaremagic.blogspot.in/2015/04/vadodara-central-bus-station-most.html



And as I returned back to my Hotel, I bought acupressure slippers which I still wear to work.

11 April

I had came to Vadodara to see Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park which is a UNESCO world heritage. At around 7:00 I boarded a Bus to Pavagadh.  Bus journey was nice and so were the folks. We passed two rivers and few lakes to reach Pavagadh located at the base of a Hill. Ruins of this Archaeological park astound with their beauty and elegance. Gardens are well kept by A.S.I. and surrounding of rustic villages make it even more beautiful.http://mayfaremagic.blogspot.in/2015/04/champaner-pavagadh-archaeological-park.html


I felt the kindness of poor, when I decided to have my lunch at a roadside Tea joint. I asked if they had food, the woman there said yes they serve food at 40 Rs a plate, and asked me to come in. I was given four chapatis, rice, dal and subzi in just 40 Rs. Food was piping hot and fulfilling.



After returning and resting I took a shared Auto again to Sayaji Square and walked rest of the way to Laxmi Vilas Palace. Its a beautiful Palace with so many beautiful things that you are just filled with warmth and admiration. Photography of any kind is prohibited inside the Palace, which allows you to savour the beauty with your own two eyes instead of clicking your camera madly. Free Audio guides are available and Palace staff is just excellent. This Palace had a European architect who later committed suicide. Its surrounded by beautiful gardens and lush green golf-course. I saw the Prince playing golf and also some beautiful peacocks.



We had a summer storm in the evening and as I was leaving it was raining lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment